Reasonable range of wines from budget to medium. Free delivery over £120, otherwise £8.50. Shops in Shrewsbury, Chester, Hereford, Bridgnorth, Llandudno and Welshpool.
William Tanner, born in Shropshire in 1839, went to sea and sailed the world, visiting places as far flung as Australia and Chile. Returning as a ship’s captain in 1872, he took his brother Henry into partnership and founded the firm of W. & H. E. Tanner in Shrewsbury. Its cellars were those of the now demolished Victorian Market Hall, its offices were in Shoplatch.
The business later passed to Alfred Tanner of Shrawardine near Shrewsbury, a successful breeder and exporter of pedigree Shropshire Sheep and Hereford Cattle. He employed a manager until two of his sons were old enough: Frank, who died in 1960 and Clive who died in 1983. In 1912 they acquired the Old Brewery at Welshpool, founded 1860, which by then had ceased brewing beer and, in 1926, the wine merchants business of Thos. Whitefoot and Sons, Bridgnorth; dating from 1825. The ancient carved figures you can see on the Bridgnorth shop front are great curios of unknown origin. For many years prior to Thomas Whitefoot, when 36 High Street was a coaching inn, they decorated the balcony of the inn yard at the rear of the premises. Their eldest brother, Craig Tanner, was a well-known Hereford Cattle breeder and point-to-point rider who farmed at Eyton-on-Severn, carrying on a family tradition of farming in the area going back over 400 years.